Thursday, February 27, 2014

Shall Not Want

Psalm 23:1 (Geneva Version)
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want."

Psalm 23:1 (GODS WORD translation)
"The Lord is my shepherd. I am never in need."

Here is the meaning of the Hebrew word translated as "want" or "need":

STRONG'S CONCORDANCE #H2637 
Word: "WANT/NEED"


"\khaw-sare'\
A primitive root; to lack; by implication to {fail} {want} lessen: - be {abated} {bereave} {decrease} (cause to) {fail} (have) {lack} make {lower} want."

I was receiving one-on-one prayer from brothers at my church on Tuesday evening. I remember them praying there would be no lack in my life. And indeed, I got thinking... there is no lack (need) in my life! I am whole in Christ. He has redeemed me and washed me, and everything that is His, He shares with me... and today I am walking in that authority and sonship. Totally amazing.
 
I never was in need. God always met my needs. I have walked in this knowledge for quite some time. The flesh often disagrees, but God's word and His Spirit uphold the promise in my spirit and heart. I shall not, and do not lack any thing. Right now.
That is written in the spirit's ink on the tablet of my heart.
 
What is written in your heart? Can you agree with Jesus and say to Him, "Jesus, you are my Head Pastor, my Great Shepherd. I am never in need. Thank you Jesus!"
 
It is a bold statement to make considering you could count all the things you do not currently have. Look at me for instance; I have utterly failed to restart my personal life. I remain divorced. But does that mean I lack? Of course not. Jesus has proven Himself as the Great Pastor, the Shepherd who meets all needs. Mine are already met. Why? Because He said so, through David the Psalmist. Why look for something you already have?
 
This is a present-tense word for you and for me. It sounds like a basic one, but how often we forget, and recede into the depths of our own feelings and longings and forget that the old English word "want" as used in the Geneva Version and King James version just means a lack of basic needs. Love and acceptance. Food, clothing, and shelter. God meets this need. 
 
Over time, word meanings can change. The meaning of "want" has been added to in 450 years. These days, a "want" is a desire. God does not automatically give all things we desire, but He does care for our needs, as we trust Jesus. Only serve the Lord Jesus, and He will always meet your actual needs. He may not address all your "perceived needs", but He always meets the actual ones. He knows best. This does not mean God will not answer prayers regarding your desires. He can and does grant desires. But this post is about needs/wanting/lacking. So when you pray, but feel a need is not being met, ask yourself two questions:
 
1) Am I seeking the kingdom of Jesus first?
 
2) Is my need "perceived" or "actual"?

Jesus promises us:

Matthew 6:33 (Geneva Version)
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be ministered unto you."
 
Two good things to remember as Jesus gave His word to meet you where you are. But you must put Him first and simply believe. Nothing more. Give Jesus priority as your Leader. Give His Kingdom, His righteousness, His rulership in Your life the first place in your heart and mind and will. Give Him your belief. He does the rest. And you will discover that you never lack a necessity in life! Just go about obeying Jesus, and let Him show you His faithfulness! He is so good!
 
It is wonderfully challenging thing to say it, isn't it? Say it with me: 

I do not lack a thing... because Jesus is my Great Pastor, the Great Shepherd!
 
Enjoy your richness in Him!
 
Bless you,
~Pastor Curtis
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment