Sunday, May 22, 2016

Celebrating Anniversaries As a Single


I am a little late, in writing this. But the Holy Spirit JUST reminded me... that this month (May) is the 15th ANNIVERSARY since I began in Christian ministry leadership in my church. I believe the exact date was Sunday, May 13th, 2001. I was already going to Church On The GO as an attendee. But then the window of opportunity was offered to me as a young man, and I took it. I began to volunteer to teach the youth sunday class. I even drew cartoons with Scripture.
This is by far one of the very best things that the Lord has ever done for me.
Thank Jesus for 15 years of Christian leadership ministry, and 16 years (nearly) at the same church. I could not have done it without the Lord. I started as a single, and behold, I am single again now!
 
Thanks to ChristArt.com for this free image. http://www.christart.com/clipart/image/birthday-cake
Just because you are unmarried does not mean you do not have anniversaries you can celebrate. The Lord has done SO many significant things for you and I, and He INITIATED and MAINTAINED so much for us. Think about all the dates God has done something amazing for you. These are events and dates that have nothing to do with marriage, things that marriage has no bearing on. Whether you are currently married or single, choose to celebrate those anniversaries. It is an exercise in gratefulness and it helps us keep a proper heavenly perspective.
See, I COULD have focused on the 'negative' anniversary of May. I could have focused on my old marriage anniversary which was May 21 2005. That marriage ended in divorce sadly in October 2009, because of being abandoned by a non-credible (Greek: "APISTOS" meaning either incredulous, or unbelieving or both) wife (1 Cor. 7:15). 
See APISTOS definition here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G571&t=KJV 
But I am long past that. The LORD gave me a ministry when I was a young man, just 21. That was long before marriage. I was single at that time. I believe the date was May 13th, 2001, when Pastor Rev. Marg Coates (she went home to be with the Lord in May 2012) opened the door for me to begin leading in a youth ministry at the church. Today, I am single yet again, and I have since become the Assistant Pastor, and I have been officially "on staff" with the church for years now. 

I am so very GRATEFUL for the privilege to celebrate my 15th anniversary in ministry. This is a distinctly "SINGLE" anniversary, and a Godly anniversary, particularly in my life, because I was single when God called me. This is not to say I will never remarry. But the Lord's call to Ministry leadership was the key event, the greatest event, of my 20's, and nothing else. Jesus, and His voice, must be our immediate priority. Discipleship is about immediate and continual response and obedience to the voice of the Shepherd, Jesus Christ, at any cost.

Ministry is just another word for servanthood. It is exactly like the servanthood of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples. Jesus demonstrated servanthood in His own leadership ministry, despite being the King of Kings. This is the model all servants of the Lord should follow, in heart and in principal and in action. It is nothing grand and showy. It is only for the meek and the lowly. Ministry is not for those who think they will be exalted by it. Anyone seeking to serve the Lord will be humbled in ministry, as I was. The Lord exalts the humble and the meek in His own time.

Abandonment (2008) and divorce (2009), as horrible as those events were, became the events God used to soften me and humble me (Romans 8:28). Pride cannot survive the call to ministry. So I am not "great" in my own eyes, or in anyone else's. I am a simple shepherd, a pastor, who loves helping others and teaching them the Word in a way that they can grow. I rely on the power of the Holy Spirit. I was mentored by Pastor Rev. Steve Coates. And really, I am constantly aware of the miracle that I am actually still in the ministry, despite being divorced. Ministry survived, by the grace of God. That keeps me quite humble. And so I should be. I have nothing useful in myself apart from the blood of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, and the power of Christ. Everything I need and desire is Christ. As flawed as I am, He still uses this vessel as I obey Him.

I love the Lord more than I love the prospect of getting a godly wife. And the fact is, I really think I am the least of the pastors in my church and in my broader ministerial. Everyone else has had more experience than me. My servanthood does not compare to the amazing hearts and service of those who have gone before me.
What has Jesus done for you? What are the significant dates that God has moved in your life? Don't wait until you are married before celebrating an ANNIVERSARY!
What are the Holy Spirit's anniversaries of your life? Find those things and use them as a tool of gratitude, to help you see God's patterns of consistent faithfulness in your life. You will be amazed and humbled at just how faithful Jesus has been to you over the years.

What was....

... the moment He gave you New Birth (The hour of your personal Salvation)?
... a time He rescued you from troubles?
... the moment He called you to walk the path of ministry?
... the moment He changed something in your life for the best?
... The moment He healed you miraculously?

That is just a handful of many possibilities.
There are myriads of OTHER examples we can find in Scripture and in our personal walk with Jesus. What is HIS STORY (History) in your life? Find those days and mark them as anniversaries of His faithfulness to you. 
God bless.
Pastor Curtis
Sun. May 22 2016 3:53pm EST

No comments:

Post a Comment