Sunday, February 28, 2016

Faithfulness Helped Me Become a Pastor

HOW FAITHFULNESS AT CHURCH PAVED THE WAY FOR ME TO BECOME AN ASSISTANT PASTOR

I was getting ready for church this morning. I was a little disorganized I admit, and a little slow.
Ever since I became legally single again in 2009, home life has been a challenge to adapt to. I have improved a lot over the years. 

But I regularly come to church prepared, on time, and ready to go! Thanks to the Lord's hand on me, not even being abandoned by my wife stopped me from persuing the Lord's will for me in His Call. After the divorce, I kept going with Jesus. And the church was gracious to allow me to continue because they recognized I was faitfhul to my wife until the divorce was final. And I was able in Christ to remain faithful in church. Faithfulness must ALWAYS come before you can get a new title or position.

This morning, my ride was waiting for me to come out of my house to pick me up for service. Cecil, one of our most faithful men in the church, is the driver. He does a great job driving people to church in his van- particularly those who do not own vehicles of their own, like me. He sometimes brings me, and many others to the church with his volunteerism. One of the dear sisters who was in the van with him said to me as I came out "I thought I was going to have to come in and pull you out." with a sense of humour and teasing. As I got into the awaiting van, I replied... "Yes... well at least I always come out of my house." with cheerfulness and a smile.

As we all rode in Cecil's van, she asked me, "what does that mean?"
I said, "It means I never miss a church service!"
She replied, "Oh, that's because you're a pastor!"
And I said "Well no, it's because I am faithful."

I got thinking about this. I know I am weak and human. I am not the fastest person off the start line. But God has shown me that crossing the finish line is what matters most! And the truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter if you are a pastor or not, one should be faithful to attend their church... it is the life of Christ within the Body and you get nourished by what each part of the body supplies! One will shrivel up spiritually if one hides all the time. 

If I was missing services, I would NEVER have been promoted to be a youth pastor in 2004! And I would never have gotten to be Assistant Pastor in 2012. I was trained as a ministry son or apprentice at my church by Lead Pastor Rev. Stephen Coates. That means, faithfulness is needed BEFORE you can advance in ministry!
It's how God operates. He rewards faithfulness.

Regular attendance (faithfulness at church) is NOT dependent your position (role in church) therefore. But your position is DEPENDENT upon your faithfulness! We gather in order to obey the Word of God (Hebrews 10:25) and so that we each can contribute to the Body. Believers should be church goers that others can depend on. Pastor or not. If you can be depended upon every single week, then you just might get rewarded with some new ministry or volunteer responsibilities. But without faithfulness, I could NEVER have gotten any promotions. Period. 

Be faithful to Jesus, be faithful to your home church. Don't think it is just the "Pastor's job" to be there all the time. It is every Christian's job to be regular and helpful in church if you are serious about the faith! Remember, I started off as a volunteer, in 2000. Faithfulness was the key God used to bring me into more responsibilities. God does not act differently with you. Watch what He does with you when you fully embrace His kind of faithfulness. He is so GOOD! Not that we will all be called to leadership roles. But we are all called to be helpful in each service! What can you contribute to your church for Christ's purpose?
Now as a side note, I must make it clear... Sometimes we will have isolated moments when we cannot make it to church due to a medical hospital emergency, or a rare work shift etc. But in those times, one can STILL be faithful by notifying the church in advance that you will be missing one service. This is highly appreciated by church leaders, particularly if you are already a regular attendee. It shows that you care for others and are courteous.
So aim to be the most faithful person you can be.
I thank Jesus for HIS extreme faithfulness and for blessing me with His strength to continue. Faithfulness will be tested, but with God you can overcome any test and any distraction!

God bless you!
Assistant Pastor Curtis
- - - - - - - - - - 
Sun Feb. 28 2016 1:51PM EST

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right,Faithfulness is what God is looking for, vessels in which He can use.You look after God business and He will look after your business. being Faithful over little thing and in time He will make you ruler over many. First it start with your attitude towards the body of Christ, your faithfulness but importantly your obedience to follow Him to the end. Paul said in 2 Tim 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. In the end that what us as true believers should be able to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tamika for reading and commenting! You are absolutely right! We need to be faithful and also obedient... To the very end... To the finish line... When we meet Jesus in Heaven!

      Delete