Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Forgotten Ornament

"The Forgotten Ornament"
A Personal Story By Curtis Alexander
---------
It's garbage pick up day tomorrow in my neighbourhood. I have developed a habit: on the night before pick up, I go into my rather full walk-in hall closet and make myself throw something in there out along with the garbage. Stuff has just been sitting around and is no longer needed. But I tend to hang on to things "just in case". So in recognition of this, I made myself "downsize" ... a little each pick up.
So I chip away at this closet on every pick up (once every two weeks). Tonight I went in and found a mangled box. Inside the box were a bunch of decorations I never use. So I determined to throw them out, decrepit box and all. But before I did, I thought I should look for any decorations of personal value that I should save ( deep down, part of me is a softie.... I think!?) Anyway, I found a handful of Christmas ornaments given to me by my mom over the years, and she even wrote my name on them (in small print on the backs)! So I kept those ones... 7 or 8. I had well over 100 decorations so I am doing good to let go of most of them. Most of them were generic bobbles and little themed shapes that I will never need again (as a single, childless, divorced man, I don't bother decorating for the holidays anymore.)
 Then.... I came across this one ornament.... buried inside the box (see picture). I had almost forgotten I even had it! 
 
 
 
It was a Christmas ornament my former wife and I had somehow acquired when in our first year of marriage. I stared at it. In small letters was a phrase inscribed: our first Christmas 2005. Below the inscription was a large metal outline of a heart. Inside the metallic heart was a stylized couple in romantic embrace- husband and wife. As a married couple, we used to hang it on our Christmas tree every year. 
Upon seeing it, and remembering what it was, I knew what had to be done with this ornament. It had to go. I must not hang on to it any longer. It's been ten years since marriage and I am in my seventh year now of divorce.
So I determined to toss it along with 100+ generic ornaments . Yet I decided.... to take this picture of it first, to commemorate what it once meant to me. This dated anniversary ornament is now out by the side of the road, with the generic ones, waiting for tomorrow's pickup. This photo represents my ability to let go of the past, in a tangible way. For someone who likes to keep sentimental objects, this was a significant step in the right direction! 
 
Now, I still have many pictures and reminders of the old days hidden someplace. I have forgotten what most of them are now, because I have moved on in my heart and mind. 
 
 But it felt good to release this one relic of the past and thus free myself of its presence. Praise God. Sometimes, decluttering your closet also helps you to declutter your mind and heart. This is a good example of that. God is so good to me and has been faithful. 
God bless and thanks for reading! 
 
Tue Oct 27 2015 11:49 PM EST

No comments:

Post a Comment