Sunday, June 21, 2015

To my Dad on Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to my Dad (John Alexander)!

Understand that because of your own deep love of our God Jesus Christ and His Word, and your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit, I was raised with the blessing of having an earthly father that loves and cares for me, a reflection of our relationship to the Heavenly Father. You knew how to draw this turtle out of his shell and help me open up one on one. You made me feel validated and accepted. You stuck to your rules and guidelines, taught me to respect authority. Yet even in your firm stance, you have always been so gentle. You somehow always knew when I had something on my mind as a teen, and you always took your time to wait and let me open up in my own way. You were transparent and helpful, letting me see that I was not strange, different, or weird, or beyond hope in my teens and young adulthood. You helped me see that I was human and in need of dependence on God. You exposed me to powerful Spirit-led fellowship in the local church from an early age. I have memories of that which still live on in me decades later. My childhood memories (30 years ago) of your participation in Agape Christian Fellowship are an important part of how God led me to find my current church, Church On The GO, in the year 2000. He called me to ministry, but it was your early influence in my life that prepared me for my current life. You have no idea how precious this is to me.

Just know that who I am and what I do is because you started me on this journey a long time ago. Understanding your background, it is even more exceptional that you put so much into your effort as a father. Our talks in the basement, building stuff together out of blocks when I was young, and our talks around the Amiga, listening to song files called MODS. :) You started me, and guided me early on in my journey to eventually being a man after God's heart. You also helped me cultivate my interest in computer software, music creation, cartooning, and art.
We are not the same in every way, since you never could transfer your love of old movies (40's, 50's, etc) to me when I was a child. I still remember you preparing 5-10 minute "movie clips". You loved these movies, but knew I could not sit through entire feature-length movies, due to my own attention issues. So the only way you could get me to agree to watch, was to tell me it was "just a clip". I would watch your clip, and be on my way. :)

While I have not turned out to be a "movie buff" like you, you may not realize your "movie clips" have had a positive impact on me in the long run: it cultivated a passion for short video (5-10 minutes), which I would eventually begin to make and post on the internet. Youtube eventually came along and I started to make my own "clips" to post on that site. So thank you for your "movie clips"! :)

Here is one of my newest youtube videos "In The Midst Of Thee". When I think about it, this video's influence came from God, and also from my time with you as a youngster. Spending time with you using Music software, watching your video clips, and praying with you all have had an impact, and it has led to creations like this:




  Later on, when tragedy was about to strike in my personal life, God warned you in advance, and you prayed for me. Yours were some of the most important prayers to helping me cope through extreme loss and hidden depression. Others prayers made a difference too! But there is something about a father's prayers that carries weight.

I am better at expressing these things in writing than I am in spoken words. But they must be expressed. You continue to inspire me through your fearless approach to challenges and difficulty, and because you serve the Lord in Spirit and in Truth.

 God bless, thank you, and enjoy this day!
Love,
Your son,
Curtis

Alexander family, in March of 2015: Left to Right- me(Curtis), dad (John), my sister Corrie, mom (Marlene) 


Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:20pm EST

No comments:

Post a Comment